by Calvin Cox on September 4, 2008
I’m sure it’s no surprise to you that the phrase “Free Download” is more popular that the phase “Buy Now” in the eyes of your site visitors. As a matter of fact just out of curiosity I looked up the search volumes for each phase and found that customers are searching for “Buy Now ” roughly 860 times per month whereas “Free Download” claims roughly 89,000 visitors per month. No surprise there but as a designer and businessman, the question becomes how can you get a piece of the “Free Download” search volume pie without losing your shirt giving away all your products and services?
Designers and design companies alike should be using the free download strategy as an effecitve internet marketing tool to engage new customers. Giving away freebies like web templates, graphic images, fonts, tutorials, and Photoshop brushes are all great ways of engaging your site visitors. Great free stuff gives your customers a chance to get familiar with your company’s brand and services which will put you on their short list for future purchases. Here is a list of 5 great benefits for implementing the “free download” marketing technique to increase your bottom line:
- Free downloads can assist in an increase in your opt-in email list. This can lead to building customer relationships though email newsletters and promotional offers. Being consistent and informative will put you on the short list when your clients are ready to buy.
- Free downloads of products and or services has viral marketing potential, if what you’re offering is worth telling friends about – your site visitors will surely tell their friends and colleagues about it, who in turn will tell their friends and colleagues about your free offer and before you know it… you’re viral – sending an obscene amount of traffic to your website.
- You can offer a free software download or trial of your product with limited functionality that can be easily upgraded to the fully functional paid version with all the bells and whistles your customers really wanted in the first place.
- Free download of graphic or fashion images can be a great source of free advertising for your design company. Many people use images on blogs and websites and throughout social media networks. Be sure to place your web address and copyright information on the images or request that your site visitors credit the images to your design company though backlinks or photo credit on their websites.
- And lastly, by simply having the phrase” free download” as part of your page content helps when users are searching by keywords, which is a great way to end up on the SERPs of major search engine for the 89000 customers looking for “free downloads”.
IF YOU LIKE THIS ARTICLE YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE TO MY RSS FEED